Thursday, March 4, 2010
Back to Black
I've just printed off the first draft of my second crime novel. Just over 50,000 words and completed last November as my NANOWRIMO project. Its dark, scary, and dramatic. It also has a cast of thousands. So heres the plan...
1. Read it. (Should be interesting, I've forgotten half the characters!)
2. Highlight all the characters (to see if there really are as many of them as I suspect)
3. Add in a death at the beginning (I know who, and how). A death at the beginning of a crime novel is always good, to get the ball rolling, so to speak.
4. To kill off anyone who isn't relevant and necessary. No matter how much I like them. (Electra, honey, this means you)
5. To stick a pic of Ewan McGregor on my computer as inspiration (not just generally, although that works too!)
6. To flesh out my detective. Give him more to say and a deep, dark, past which was only hinted at first time around.
7. To polish it within an inch of its life.
8. And finally, when its almost double the size it currently is and FABULOUS to send it out.
9. Then back to NTAI.
P.S. In the meantime, I can be interrupted with chocolate, liquorish all sorts (can't spell em!), or contracts.
What are the rest of you up to?
Posted by Sally Clements at 1:50 PM